Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sharing the Carrot cake love......


First, the disclaimer.....this is a splurge cake. I make it only once or twice a year. Since it was for hubby's birthday, I made the real deal. He seems to be gifted with a splurge-o-meter, and knows when I try to skimp or make something the least bit healthier. SO, for him, it was the real deal. It is a very rich cake, and even a small piece is enjoyable. I won't tell you that is was so good that hubby had a SECOND piece.....just saying, when it's your birthday, you can do what you want and calories don't count, right? And also, another disclaimer, is that the picture I posted yesterday, was NOT my cake....again, the Google image obsession, because 1) I don't like to post without some kind of picture, and 2) my camera is wonky of late and everything I try to capture ends up striped like a zebra......not so pretty. I could get all distracted and talk about the camera here, and that I really don't want to spend money to get it fixed OR to buy a new camera, but I have an appointment to get to, girls......so back to the carrot cake love.....and an apology for not being able to show you the REAL one I made, which actually looked "more like mine!" because it has three layers of carrot cake goodness with a layer of cream cheese icing (don't tell hubby that I did use reduced fat, Neufchatel cream cheese in the icing...he doesn't know....because it's just too stinking good!) AND it had five candles on it, because hubby was turning 51, and well, that's all the candles I could find!!!!!

So the carrot cake, which comes from a cookbook entitled Cotton Country, a Jr. League cookbook (from yesteryear) from Monroe, La...... thank you, Mrs. Prent Castle from St. Joseph, La....(I'm thankful to still have the pages, because I've used it so much it needs to be rebound, and I have it held together with a rubber band!!)

Carrot Cake

2 cups flour
2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
2/3 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
4 eggs
1 1/2 c. Wesson Oil
3 c. carrots, grated (hey, it's healthy, heh, heh....
1/2 c. nuts, chopped (I use pecans)

Frosting:
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese (don't you tell anyone I used Neufchatel cream cheese!!!)
1/2 stick butter
1 box powdered sugar

Mix together all dry ingredients. Beat eggs and add oil. Combine dry ingredients with egg mixture. Add carrots and nuts. Pour into 3 greased 9 inch layer pans. Bake at 300 degrees for 45 minutes OR at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.

Frosting:
Cream together cream cheese (sshhhh....) and butter. Add sugar and beat well. Frost lightly between layers then ice sides and top.

Optional.....toast some chopped pecans in a small amount of butter in a skillet and add a touch of salt. sprinkle them on top of the cake......oh, man, oh, man.....

19 comments:

Darlene said...

That sounds decadent and delicious!!!! Sounds like he was a happy man!!♥

elizabeth said...

MMmmm....my word that sounds fabulous!

Wendy said...

Oh...thank you for sharing your carrot cake recipe! My husband loves carrot cake...and so do I.

Controlling My Chaos said...

Oh yum. Pecans are NOT optional on carrot cake. They must be there or it is unedible. Well, in MY world anyway. :)

CMB said...

I have a very similar recipe...love it but it is definitely a splurge food!

April said...

YUMMY...so happy you shared your recipe! I must give it a try...and SOON!

Anonymous said...

Well I don't like carrot cake, but I am sure it's very good and I just bet you made someone's day.

Linda said...

Oh yummy, thanks for the recipe...this is a keeper!

Nancy Rosalina said...

Oh, I love carrot cake! Sounds soooo gooood! Nancy

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Oooooohhhhh...nooo! I shouldn't have clicked on this post, I shouldn't have clicked on this post. It sounds divine, and the picture (even if it's not yours) makes my mouth water! ;) I might have to give it a try.

Thrifty Decor Chick said...

Carrot cake is my ultimate favorite!!! My dad makes it for my b-day every year! I got the catalog, thank you so much! I just LOVE that stuff!! I can't wait to look through it tonight.

Lois Christensen said...

Sounds yummy!! Enjoy another piece, go ahead, since you only make it once a year!!!

Ruby Red Slippers said...

That sounds soooo good. I need my hubby to make it for me!!!
Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog-I love yours! I will be back!

Lazy Mom Leslie said...

Yum - O as Rachel Ray and my 10 yr old daughter would say!

Paula@SweetPea said...

Your cake sounds divine!

Stacey said...

Carrot cake is my very favorite! It's old fashioned and delicious. :)

Domestic Designer said...

Thanks for the recipe! It sounds like it would be delicious. My birthday is coming up and that would be a great time to splurge! Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

I bookmarked this page.How wonderful does this sound..yummy!!!!!!!...Ann

Hapoybin Louisiana said...

I've had this cake many times (I own the Cotton Country cookbook). It is the best carrot cake I have ever eaten!