Wednesday, May 16, 2012

a topic of discussion of late for me.....




Thought I'd put this out there and see if there are others who might have read about this, considered this, or even been diagnosed with this.  For the past two years, I have been diagnosed with PreDiabetes.  Not yet diabetic, but every time I had my blood checked, it was borderline.   So I began to read.......my doctor didn't actually introduce this to me as a diagnosis, but now I am beginning to wonder why not?  I have struggled with menopause, hypothyroidism (Hashimoto's actually) and inability to lose weight, in fact, gained it at an alarming rate, to me.  I looked down at myself and thought.....gee where did all this belly fat come from????  No doubt, the last nine months of my life have been extremely stressful (on several counts) and I've read that in high stressful situations, the cortisol your body produces will cause you to collect fat at your midsection.  It was surely no coincidence that the high stress from the last year caused the belly to increase......WHOA...threw me for a loop!
Anyway, I began to read and saw some other articles that earmarked a couple of other widely common traits that made me again certain that this was where I was.......two being, skin tags, and dark spots on areas, like knees, elbows, and other joint areas.  Yep, that was me.  So while I have not seen an endocrinologist (probably my next step), I am pretty sure that this diagnosis suits me to a T and is the answer I have been looking for.  So I am realizing that I will never be able to eat again the way I have always eaten.  Sad, but true.  This OLDER body, with its frailties, needs a different way of life.  I am currently losing some of the weight and trying to get to a healthier place.  So far, so good.  It will be a long journey, I am certain, and one that will look different than most people.  I will always have to be careful......but I have to admit how much better I feel when I am eating the way my body responds to!!!  What about you??  What do you do for healthy choices in your life???

Edited to add that this webpage may help you understand a little more:   http://insulinresistancediet.info/insulin-resistance-symptoms/

8 comments:

Barb @ The Everyday Home said...

OMG, I can't believe you posted this? I have an appointment next week for these very same symptoms. I mean EVERY single one. I even have the acne, which I have NEVER had even in my teen years. I have always had the prettiest, clearest skin (maybe a small blemish here and there once a month), but my skin has gone to the pits.

The weight is another thing. I wish I eat as much as my body looks like I did. I have had a super stressful past year, and have packed on over 25 pounds. I am miserable. I am going to look into this some more. I'm sorry you're not feeling well. I will let you know what I find out. Thank you for posting this and making others aware.

Beverly said...

Oh my! I have checked in to see if you had posted a few times. I'm like you, haven't been a faithful blogger lately or leaving comments.
I was excited to see not one, but two new post from you. Yes, I love Pinterest and spend way too much time there. Don't facebook too much.
I have so many of the same symptoms you mentioned and when I have my upcoming check-up, I will have questions to ask Dr. Thanks to you.
Sorry you have had a stressfull year. I have too, so I completely understand.
I will be checking back here often and will look forward to renewing our "blogship".

Stacey said...

Being female sure comes with some challenges health-wise, doesn't it? I hope you get the answers you need at the doctor. :)

Stacey said...

Being female sure comes with some challenges health-wise, doesn't it? I hope you get the answers you need at the doctor. :)

Nancy said...

Suzanne, feeling good makes it worth it. I'm sorry your dealing with the health issues that make it even more difficult to shed the unwanted pounds. Be patient with yourself. I hope your keeping track of your progress. It sometimes helps to look at that chart and realize how far you've come.

Sue said...

I, too, am having so many of these problems. Hope you'll do a post on the diet changes that are making you feel better.

Welcome back to blogging. I am sporadic at best these days too.

Unknown said...

Very interesting blog...Amazing content...Thank you for sharing with us...

Snapdeal Coupon

http://www.couponzatak.com/store/snapdeal/

Unknown said...

Awesome site...I haven't seen such a nice site...Thank you for sharing with us...

Snapdeal Coupon