Saturday, June 18, 2011

grown up styles.....

Artwork by Susan Branch....
Just today, I discovered that Susan Branch has a blog now.  I have always loved her artwork and her way of thinking!!!  I've always love that she lives on Martha's Vineyard and tells all about it!    I have followed her page on Facebook (Friends of Susan Branch)   for a while now, and always think that her life is so inspiring.  I actually think the life of anyone who has artistic tendencies and follows them, and may even have grown a business around them, is quite inspiring!  

 She has a section on her blog called  I Love England.....and within that section is a post she wrote about Laura Ashley.  Boy, did that take me back!!!  I remember being a young woman, right about the time I got married and shortly thereafter, and I LOVED Laura Ashley.  I loved going into the stores and soaking up the atmosphere.
Had we not been poor graduate students, I am certain I would have used more of their fabrics and items in my life!!!  I love the way their colors looked so fresh, all so coordinated, and just the perfect combination of cottage but classy.  I remember making some dresses that were much inspired by Laura Ashley and wore them proudly!  Small cotton print, tucks, white color.....maybe you remember the style?????

I used some Laura Ashley fabrics in my daughter's nursery and bedroom later on in my life....so dainty and pretty.  Until my daughter outgrew them and said she didn't want "dainty and pretty".......sigh.

Perhaps you remember some similar sentiments!!
Here is a copy of vintage Laura Ashley fabrics from Susan Branch's blog......

thanks, Susan for taking me down memory lane.

Now, I really only have one room that is similar in style......I guess you might say my tastes have changed and grown up a little.  But soon it will be time to freshen up the college kids rooms/guestrooms, and perhaps I'll find more Laura Ashley"ish" fabrics coming back into my home......hmm.....what about you?  Remember styles that you used to use/love that maybe you've outgrown??  Tell me about some of them.......

3 comments:

Richella Parham said...

Thank you VERY MUCH for making me feel at home! I LOVED Laura Ashley. Laura Ashley dresses used to be my very favorite pieces of clothing--all those gorgeous florals! There was one yellow sundress that I particularly loved--cool and comfortable and oh, so lovely. :)

I'll have to check Susan out!

Miss Char said...

Count me in on the LA bandwagon. Her fabrics just make me feel like summer. Actually I think her fabrics are just classics.

Just a little something from Judy said...

Laura Ashley and Susan Branch continue to be two of my favorite designers. I really enjoyed this post and it brought some fun memories for me too.