Friday, June 3, 2011

Friday Fives.......




Friday Fives....(you may find these fairly personal, so if you don't want to pariticipate today, that's okay.) This is just a come clean party for me today! LOL.

1. Do you consider yourself a nutrition conscious person?
2. Are you happy with your weight?
3. Are you happy with your level of fitness?
4. What is your area of weakness for food?
5. What nutrition/fitness goals would you like to achieve?

The reason behind these Friday Fives is a long story, but one I will begin telling you about today. This is not easy for me, but I figured some accountability taken to another level would be good for me...so here is part of my story.
.
This is today's entry.....moving forward.

Recently I started getting more serious about losing weight, healthy living/lifestyle and getting more active. After finding out I have thyroid disease, going through menopause, and a serious weight gain because of some medication I was taking, my ongoing battle with my weight was kicking me in the boo-tay!! It was getting bigger, I was getting more unhealthy, and I was getting more discouraged. Hmmm...ever been there?

I realize that there are a few people who don't struggle with this, who don't have a problem with a sagging metabolism...let me just say, I envy you. I know that many of you consistently exercise and keep your weight at bay.....and love it. I have never really LOVED exercise and sweating. It's hard work! But I have finally come to the realization, that this ever on-going struggle, which is only complicated by aging, and the three factors I mentioned above (thyroid disease, menopause, and medications) was only bound to continue and get worse if I didn't get moving. I am tired of shame and tired of feeling frumpy. So I have embarked on a journey of getting back to a more healthy, energetic lifestyle. I stopped taking the offending medication ( pain be damned!) but just because you stop the meds doesn't mean the weight falls off! I found SparkPeople.com and have loved the ease of keeping track of my nutrition and fitness via their FREE website. Even if you don't want to lose weight, I can see the value of it just to keep track of your exercise progress or keeping on track with good nutrition.

I have been reading a really good book on thyroid disease, and I would encourage anyone having it to read the book. It's called The Thyroid Solution by Dr. Ridha Arem. It has opened my eyes to so many things, and truly comforted me that I am indeed not going insane. I wish more doctors would read the info he includes, in order to better understand their patients!! It's THAT good. Having thyroid disease is very complicated. This book helps one understand how it affects the body in so many ways.
Well, at the risk of either losing you here, or writing a post that takes two weeks to read, I'll stop here and pick up the story at a later date. I hope I haven't lost you; I hope I have encouraged you. This does not mean that my blog is now a weight loss blog, but I wanted to be open about my journey and a part of who I am.
I hope you enjoy your weekend. See you soon!

4 comments:

southerninspiration said...

1. Do you consider yourself a nutrition conscious person? For the most part, but not always!

2. Are you happy with your weight? No, not at all.

3. Are you happy with your level of fitness? Getting happier every day, now that I've decided it's a must for me!

4. What is your area of weakness for food? I love food, but my weakness is probably sweets.

5. What nutrition/fitness goals would you like to achieve? Attain a healthy weight: I have about 50 pounds to lose, and attain a level of activity that is both consistent and healthy for me. I also want to be in as healthy a condition for my body as i can be. I have some ISSUES!! :D

Unknown said...

1. Do you consider yourself a nutrition conscious person? Yep.

2. Are you happy with your weight?
Is anyone ever happy? I'm "at peace" with it...LOL.

3. Are you happy with your level of fitness? Yep.

4. What is your area of weakness for food? Sweets..cakes, cookies, chocolate...you name it.

5. What nutrition/fitness goals would you like to achieve? I'd like to get my weight to a magic number that I have in my head. I'd also like to get my "German arms" in better shape.

Debbie said...

1. I'm nutrition conscious. I put the right stuff in the mouth...

2. ...but I'm not happy with my weight because I put TOO MUCH of the right stuff in my mouth.

3. My fitness level could be better right now. The empty nest left me a little lazy.

4. I don't have a food weakness because my weakness is food. I eat for anxiety, and I'm anxious a lot.

5. I would mostly like to feel healthier... and have a smaller butt and gut.

Looking forward to the next installment.

EuroMom said...

Suzanne, I appreciate the transparency. I share some of those struggles and it is no fun at all! I will have to check out the library and see if they have that thyroid book. I have been dealing with thyroid issues for about 18 years now and have learned a lot but there is always more to learn!!!