Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Shepherd has one less sheep this year!

We have two Nativity sets at the SouthernInspiration Casa........one that comes from Southern Living at HOME (heh, heh, No surprise there, right???) and one that we have had for about 25 years. My hubby was in graduate school and we had only one child, and very little money.....that's another story about learning how GOD provided every single thing we needed from month to month. We might only have 59 cents in the checkbook at the end of each month, but we ALWAYS had, thanks to the faithfulness of God the Provider, every single thing the we needed. We were poor but we were so, so blessed! Anyway, back to the point......I was just diagnosed with thyroid issues, so I'm feeling a little more justified in being an airhead....) where was I? Oh, the nativity set we hand-crafted from a set featured in a magazine like Women's Day.....can't remember. We had more fun making that set with a five year old, and it still holds such value to us and our hearts. Even the younger kids like it, even though they weren't around yet when it was crafted. Well, they were in the thoughts of God, but not yet present in our family!!!


So it's been with us through the years......the dog did get baby Jesus one year and gnawed on Him a little bit, but I figured if he had some exposure to the baby Jesus, it certainly couldn't hurt him, right??? And then one of the sheep did get mauled by our son's ginormous lab puppy last year, but I figured the Shepherd could use a break from tending THREE sheep this year and only tend to two.......that's okay. We could all use a break from responsibility this time of year! LOL....Oh, and we do have an angel that attached to the front peak of the stable.....she needs to be re-glued on there......she will make her re-debut later today or tomorrow, I promise!


So I guess by now, you'd rather just see the picture already rather than continuing to read my babbling....so I give you our two Nativity scenes.....have a blessed day, my friends....


7 comments:

Lamp Tramp said...

So sweet. It's great that the first Nativity set has been well loved by ALL your family members.

Unknown said...

Sweet story.....One of my favorite parts of Christmas is seeing everyone's manger scene. Thanks for sharing.

Bo said...

I am so glad you posted this wonderful story & pics of your Nativity Sets...DH & I just bought another one at a bargain price that I'll post about in a few days...anyway, Baby Jesus was missing...so that's why the bargain...anyway...we went everywhere looking for a replacement...even Christian bookstores...and I'm telling you...I was so aggravated...nothing hardly at all relating to Christ...I'm as guilty as anyone of having Santa everywhere...but, I have Jesus front & center in my home...but I can see the stores leaving Jesus out of Christmas almost entirely...& I told them so, too! Ooops, sorry...didn't mean to write a book...
:-) Bo

southerninspiration said...

Bo, ours was made out of a old timey clothespin and a piece of felt. I bet you could make one easily!
Thanks for ya'll sweet comments!j

Suzanne

Miss Janice said...

Your nativity scenes are so pretty and special. Thanks for posting this.

Sarah Mae said...

Beautiful! We have our fist family one this year!

By the way, I'm so glad you are joining the 5:16 am club! If you want to be on the e-mail list, just e-mail me and let me know! :)

Controlling My Chaos said...

I love them. Your comments about their "encounters" over the years are so funny too. Isn't that the way life is?