Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas treats!!


I have a sugar cookie recipe that always comes thru for me in a crunch......need decorated cookies in a flash? Well this recipe is great because you don't have to chill the dough! And the icing recipe will dry shiny and hard so that the cookies are stackable even though they are decorated! I don't have a picture to show you because I haven't made any yet, but I am sure I will be making some.....remember Google images is my best friend!! ;)

Here's my favorite sugar cookie recipe:
Easy Roll Out cookies

3/4 cup butter

3/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

1 t. vanilla

2 t. baking powder

2 3/4 cup flour

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar with electric mixer. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. (may add butter extract here if using margarine) Add baking powder and flour (mixed together first) one cup at a time, mixing after each addition. The dough will be very stiff; blend in the last flour by hand. Do not chill. Dough may be tinted with paste icing color for colored cookies. For chocolate cookies, stir in 3 oz. melted unsweetened cocoa. If dough is too stiff, add water a teaspoon at a time.


Divide dough into two balls. On a floured surface, roll each ball in a circle about 12" in diameter and 1/8 inch thick. Dip cookie cutters in flour before each use. Bake cookies on ungreased sheet on top rack of oven for 6-7 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. If you like cookies that are more like tea cakes, make the cookies a little thicker.


Cookie Icing Recipe (dries to a glossy, hard finish and tastes good, too!

1 c. sifted confectioner's sugar

2 t. milk

2 t. light corn syrup

Place sugar and milk in a small bowl. Stir until mixed. Add corn syrup and mix well. For filling in areas, use thinned icing (add small amount of corn syrup until desired consistency). Tint with paste icing color or very small amount of food coloring.

This is a Wilton recipe and I've used it for years.





Also a fun treat to make for kids is Snowman Soup. Psstt, it's really hot chocolate mix.


Mix up some hot chocolate mix or open envelopes of pre-made mix and add to a ziploc bag. Add in a few miniature marshmallows, a few hershey kisses of your choice (remember those bad, bad peppermint ones??? mmmm.....) and add a peppermint stick or candy cane for stirring. Attach this poem, and decorate package as you wish. Ok, I didn't have time to take pics or make a tutorial, so you're on your own here. We call this YoYo at my house, especially when it comes to fixing your own dinner night. YoYo= your on your own, get it???? ;)



So here's the cute little poem for Snowman soup. You can package it with cute snowman stickers, stamps, cute ribbon, etc. Even when it's yoyo night, mom has ideas for possibilities!



Snowman Soup


I was told that you’d been good this year
Always glad to hear it.
With freezing weather drawing near
You’ll need to warm the spirit
So here’s a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick
Add hot water, stir it slowly
It’s sure to do the trick!

Ingredients: Hot chocolate mix,
Snowballs, Snowman kisses and
Stirring stick





Ok, I'm a lazy crafter and time-crunched, so I googled Snowman Soup and there are all manner of graphics to use for this recipe. Does that me an expert if I can refer you to all the right references??? hmmm.....i doubt it.


Some examples:


15 comments:

Beverly said...

Suzanne, I just love coming here. You are my new BFF. A sugar cookie dough you don't have to refrigerate. Yeah! My granddaughters will love not having to wait. And believe it or not, I have never had that glossy icing recipe. And....Snowman Soup to top it off. I'm in heaven. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Twice as Nice said...

While I may or may not use the sugar cookie recipe~you see it depends on how tired I am making other cookies first~I may cheat and use Phillsbury in the tube~I for sure will try the frosting. I've been looking for a good recipe where the frosting stays put! Thanks for the recipes.

Darlene said...

That cookie recipe sounds easy and good. Love that you can frost and stack the cookies. Might have to try that this year!

Also, I have seen that Snowman soup recipe and think it is darling!!

Stacey said...

Great ideas Suzanne. I absolutely love sugar cookies but when I try to decorate them...it's not pretty. I'll sure eat my share. :)

Nancy said...

Hmm... I need to try that icing recipe. I've made royal icing several times recently. It's great. Except it takes awhile to dry as you know. Love a great sugar cookie during the holidays.

Tara said...

Sounds like some really good yummy treats! Thanks for sharing all those. I love a good sugar cookie during the holidays. They could be my downfall if I don't watch it.
toodles...

Lamp Tramp said...

Right now I am craving so good Christmas Sugar Cookies....uumm!

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

I can't wait to try your sugar cookie and icing recipe!! Mine is good, but time consuming. I love the snowman soup too. I have one that is similar. Thanks so much for sharing. Love & blessings from NC!

Designs on 47th Street said...

I am tickled pink to have a new sugar cookie recipe! This one sounds great! Thanks! I have a sneaky suspicion my little grandsons will think that snowman soup is great fun this year! You are a dear! Suzanne, I am also very sad that you aren't making the Biltmore trip. We will take pictures and certainly think of those who can't come. :(

Love ya, Donna

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

I have been looking for a good cookie frosting recipe, so thanks. We are all extremely busy and when one of us takes the time to find something and share it...heck yes, that makes us all experts and in some cases heros....You're my hero today for sharing the icing recipe.

Anonymous said...

The cookies look yummy - I like the brightly colored frosting in the photo :-). Snowman soup sounds so much more fun than hot chocolate, doesn't it? Thanks for sharing the recipes.

pk @ Room Remix

Angie said...

Thanks for the great recipes and ideas!!!

Lois Christensen said...

Love the recipe! I'm going to print it out and try it this year. And the snowman soup is adorable!!!

Tracy said...

Thanks for that great recipe! I've been looking for one like that. Also LOVE the snowman soup. Adorable, easy little gift.

Love your blog! = )

Blessings,
Tracy

P.S. If you LOVE cookies, stop by my blog...I'm hosting a giveaway right now!

Diana Ferguson said...

Thanks for these great ones!!!!