Monday, February 8, 2010

The domino effect......

What do YOU do about the domino effect?  
Here's what I'm talking about.  The big BUT.  How often do you get stuck in a project because the but is in the way?  You know what I mean....here's an example:
I want to replace the couch, but
I really need to first  pick out fabric for the new window treatments to match, BUT
I really need to decide what to do with the wall color, but
then the flooring is an issue, too, but
we don't really have the money for new flooring.

I want to replace the couch, but
I don't want to do it as long as Lucie is a puppy because she seems to chew on things, but
it looks bad, and I really want to replace it but
then I know the chairs might not match and I'll want to at least re-cover those, too.

Or here's another example:
I really want to re-do my master bedroom, but
I need to choose a new color paint.  I need to repaint it but,
there is some sheet rock repair that needs to be done, but
I cannot do that myself.
So, I really want to re-do it, but I feel stuck, and I also want the
master bathroom re-done, but it's got all that old wallpaper that needs to come down, and I can't do that until I decide what I'm going to do with the rest of it........

You've been there right?  You've been stymied by the BUT before, haven't you?
Then there's the other kind of domino effect, where you actually DO get the DIY project started, and the DIY project takes on a life of it's own, because you realize when you get that room painted, the floors sure could use cleaning, and the upholstery spiffed up if not replaced...and on and on.

How do YOU conquer the "buts"?  What gets you past the roadblock that keeps you in a  procrastinating mode, that keeps you from moving on?  What do you do to "get the job done?"  Flow charts, pie graphs?  (oh, see the engineering in the mister is rubbing off on me.......AAACCKKKK......)

Lest you think I sound discontent, or ungrateful.....I really am not.  I like my house, and can live with it the way it is, just fine.  I do crave to channel my creativity and love for decorating into my own house, rather than simply helping others!  I do want it to be pretty!  Yet, I also look at the reality of the fact that this time next year, we will have TWO kids in college, and facing graduate school for both of them, as well.....
WHOA , Nelly, that will stop a DIY-er in their tracks, right?  Although, one could argue, that being a DIYer makes it much more of a possibility because you couldn't afford to have someone in to do the work for you !!!!!!  So I feel just a little caught in the loop.  I can afford to make some changes, and really need to decide how to make those happen without having to take on more than I can afford right now.  So here I've rambled on and on about my dilemna.....and it's really not one.  I know others face TRUE dilemnas today that seem insurmountable....
I'm just thinking out loud here and wondering what YOU do to quell the arguments in your head!  You DO argue with yourself, right?  I'm not alone in that, am I????  What do you do to make things happen, and get over the buts?  Yes, the BUT, it gets us everytime........
And I"m not EVEN talking about the butt, that's a whole 'nother post to conquer!!!! I think I need Jillian's help with that one!!!!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sister, we are speaking the same language! I know exactly what you mean. I've had 3 kids either in college or going into college for so many years I've lost count. We had two in college at the same time for 2 years.

When I look at an expensive project that I think is too much (for this season in my life) I do what I can, when I can and don't worry about what's been put on hold. There will be many years ahead to work on projects. I've learned that there is tremendous joy in small accomplishments.

Lois Christensen said...

I have the same problem!!! Our kitchen faucet is broken for about 3 months now. Oh it works fine if all you want is hot water. But I don't want to get a new one because I think, we really need a new sink and the counters would look so much more prettier if they were granite!!! So I wait to save the money for a new kitchen faucet because I need to upgrade everything!

Great post!

Nancy said...

So one way I do it is just to keep putting it off until it gets so bad I'm embarrassed about it. That's what I did with the kitchen & bathroom. It was definately to the point of being embarrassed to have people come over.

Of course, one thing leads to another doesn't it. How about slipcovers for your sofa. I'm thinking about that. Because right now, as I'm trying to do wall hangings, I often find something and think, that's not going to work with my sofa. :( It's the fabric issue.

I have the BEST handyman. What a lucky day it was when I found his name and number in the little local newspaper. He can do just about anything and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg to do it. Having him available has cured some of my "buts". Because alot of times my problem is I don't know where to go to find what I need. Like those slipcovers?????

Stacey said...

Oh. My. Gosh. I had this same post in my mind! We are in the same place at the same time.

One thing I've done when it comes to decorating...I can't honestly say that our house "needs" anything. I just like to change things...every 9 years or so. That's how long we've lived here. I've been selling some things on Craig's List and using the money I make to do my projects. Works like a charm!

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Good post, Suzanne!!!! :)

You put into words exactly what I've been feeling lately. I want to do sooo many things in the house, but they'll require several steps and/or the domino effect will take place. ;)

Hope you'll swing by with a Dilemma or Solution this week for Decorating Dilemmas. :)

April said...

Suzanne...I argue with myself constantly! I'm not sure there's any real way to win the battle, unless I just haven't discovered it yet! :)

Julie Harward said...

Thats life isn't it...a continual process of improvements. I guess one does what they can as they can do it. First things first..and fix a bit as you can..it never ends! Have a good day and come say hi :D

Melissa Miller said...

Suzanne you are so cute and funny!

I'm not too sure I have the patience to wait on each home project. I just have to re-do or tweak something all the time. I just dive right in now matter where I start or end up.

~Enjoy the process! *Smiles*

Tales From My Empty Nest said...

Suzanne, I am right there with you!! I had the whole weekend to do things around my house and barely made a dent in anything. I have had so much going on at my house for the past 5 or 6 years, that I am so far behind on what needs "doing" around here. It is frustrating, because I don't know where to start. I'm like you, I need to redo a lot in my house(especially upstairs), but it is overwhelming. I like the earlier comment from someone when they talked about small accomplishments!! I'm trying to do that now... just a little bit each day and hopefully it will all get done at some point. I am in the cleaning out mode around here right now, but that really takes time. Let's all work on this together and encourage each other. We CAN do this!!!!! Thanks for such a great post! I agree with you, I'm not complaining, just frustrated! Love & blessings from NC!

Scooterblu's Whimsy~Rhonda said...

You are not alone, dear friend! Sometimes I feel like each day begins with a bunch of "buts"...before I ever get started. Even with just cleaning! LOL! Last year, we had a few guys doing small projects around the house, and their work was slow, so they gave us a good price....BUT one project led to another and it just about broke us! We were determined to do it without borrowing any money. There are a few things I'd like to do now, BUT I will just live with things the way they are for the time being! :)

~hugs, Rhonda

Wendy said...

I am sitting here smiling! This happens every time, even if I think it won't!! Excited to see which "but" you decide to tackle.
Wendy :)

Richella Parham said...

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who argues with myself.

The domino effect is amazing. I'm glad it can work both ways--positive and negative. I need to get on a positive "roll"!

Texas Preacher Woman said...

I am soooo with you on this one! And to my horror, I've discovered -- as I'm sure you have, too -- that even if I get a whole room done (in spite of the buts), then it probably makes another room look shabby (and not in the cute, good way!), and the dominos start falling in that direction! I guess for those of us who love to nest, it's a never-ending thing, isn't it!

Grins!
Pamm

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Suzanne, we all "feel your pain". We often do things in such stages that by the time we finish the whole thing, we are ready to go back and redo the first things that were done long ago! By the way, I think the Pottery Barn scheme of off-white slipcovers with red throws, pillows, etc. in the fall and winter, and then blue, green and yellow for the spring and summer is maybe a great idea. Then it will be like a mini-redo twice a year without such a huge expense. Linda

Diana Ferguson said...

Isn't it comforting to know everyone is in the same boat?

So...just hang onto the oars and keep rowing.

Renee @ AddMoreChocolate said...

Dominos? Let's play! (That about sums up my expertise. Sorry I can't help you with your internal arguments, but I'm always up for a game of 42 :-)

Hugs,
Renee

sheila from life @ #17 said...

Hey, it sounds as if you could use an on-line consultation with Holly! another eye or mind to pick up those key points when one gets muddled is very helpful :)

Lamp Tramp said...

Right there with you, girl! Yes it is a domino effect for sure! That's why I'm DIY~ing all the way!
Woke up one morning 2 years ago, and decided I couldn't live with all the darkness that I somehow picked in my Katrina-dazed state during rebuilding. Spent all that money on new furniture then realized I didn't like it!
Hang in there, soon the kids will be out of college and your money will be yours again.
xoxo!!!!