Tuesday, November 10, 2009

homemade gifts?




What are you working on this year to give as gifts? Will you be making personalized gifts to put under the tree, or to share with friends and family? Will you be scouring the malls for some inexpensive, yet personal and fitting gifts? What's your plan?

Well, for my neighbors, (rather than give them MORE cookies than they actually need), my tradition is to give them Christmas morning breakfast goodies. I try to do a selection of things, not all sweet, so that there is something for everyone! I deliver them on Christmas Eve afternoon or evening, depending on when they are home. Some things I've included in the past are my Sausage Biscuit bites (they are simply angel biscuits with crumbled sausage in them, but one of my family's favorites; then there is the Cheese Strudel, and I love the recipe because it makes four pastries. I usually include some kind of muffins, because I love muffins--easy and quick. I also have a recipe for butter rolls that I sometimes include........I need to start planning so that I am ready. I make several platters to share with my neighbors.....they seem to enjoy it. Do you have a special tradition you do for your neighbors??? Please share in the comments so we all can gain from one another's ideas! Thanks for coming by!

16 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

Can you pretend that we live in the same neighborhood and put me on your list? i haven't even thought that far ahead!! Enjoy!

Sonny G said...

What beautiful tins~ wow..
I love getting homemade gifts and I'm sure the recipients of yours will be thrilled..
Sonny DayDreams

April said...

I usually bake them cookies or Lemon-Blueberry Bread or Banana Nut Bread...they're always a hit!

Paula@SweetPea said...

We exchange cookies in our neighborhood. I usually do peanut butter squares that are like a homemade Reese's Cup and a few other cookies. I bought red chinese take-out containers on sale after July 4 to use.

Nancy said...

Depends on how much time I have. :) I have made sweet breads to give them and I have made cookies. One time I made those cookies that are store bought peanut butter cookie dough and reese cups pressed down in them. Pretty easy. Haven't really thought about what I'd do this year.

Wish I was one of your neighbors though. :)

Tricia said...

I so wish I could bake and share my tasty treats! We always order a case of wine with custom labels (holiday picture of our daughter) for our friends and neighbors. They make great hostess gifts as well for holiday parties we attend.

Unknown said...

I am making spiced nuts to share with extended family. I will also include some other goodies that I will shop around for.

We are having a Christmas party for all our neighbors.

Domestic Designer said...

What a wonderful idea! I may have to try it myself!

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Suzanne,
You now I'm not quite sure how I'm shopping this year. Hmmm... That's a good question I need to get going on soon.

Thank you for your encouragement!
I do appreciate it. :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

I wish I lived next door to you! :) What a great idea. Now I wish I had some good neighbors....maybe Roger behind us. Am praying that a nice family will move in next door. :)

Anita@Theycallmejammi said...

You know Tennessee and Texas are practically neighbors..right?? Yummy, sounds delicious. My mom, my sisters and my daughters along with myself have a tradition each year where we exchange baked goods in a Cookie swap....we try to out do each other in our packaging and it is lots of fun. I need to get my head thinking about that so I can out do one sister in particular... SHE is so competitive ...LOL

Twice as Nice said...

I just learned how to make a Greek sugar cookie (from my MIL~hubby is Greek) and I usually hand out quite a few because everyone loves them. They melt in your mouth. With a pound of unsalted butter in the recipe-I guess they should! They are yummy.

susan said...

What a great idea--Christmas morning breakfast is always last on my list! In the past I have made homemade pepper jelly for my friends and give it in early December to be used for the holiday! Thanks for sharing this thoughtful gift idea!

Robin said...

Yes! I will be making edible and non-edible gifts for my family and friends this year!

I am planning on making some monogrammed Christmas ornaments for my co-workers (glass balls, sticker initials), and then various sweets for my husband's HUGE family.

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hmmmm....what AM I doing this year? {leaves to go ponder this question}

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea. Do my neighbors really want more of my fudge?