Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Really random thoughts shared on the porch swing




Hey friend, I am so glad you came by to sit a minute on the porch swing with me....let me offer you a glass of lemonade, iced tea, or cup of coffee. I was reading Real Simple magazine, and I found a few things I wanted to share with you....you know, kinda like sitting on the beach, sipping a cold sparkly drink, maybe with an umbrella in it, and reading a magazine........you're reading yours and every so often, I read something aloud to you from mine that catches my attention. Nothing earth shattering, just amusing or worth considering. So join me as I share with you the few nuggets of info I found this morning in the Real Simple June issue.

Oh, I love this quote found as you open up the first few pages:
Be pretty if you can, be witty if you must, but be gracious if it kills you. -attributed to Elsie de Wolfe

Oh, and this is cute.....words on fathers (oh, when is Father's Day? I need to get those gifts!! What are your ideas??)
Written by Mark Twain, "When I was a boy of 14 my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much he had learned in seven years." On June 21, remind your dad that he's the smartest guy you know!
Wow, look at this!
31 feet, 6 inches...the height of the tallest sand castle, created at the Point Sebago Resort, in Casco, Maine, in 2007. (that's over 10 yards tall!! Wowsers!)

Oh, and look on pg. 4, they are saying that one cost effective way to spruce up your home is to hit the thrift stores!!! Hmmm, we knew that already, didn't we?????

Oh, and wanna know 10 goofproof plants to use on the patio? According to the folks at Real Simple, here's the list!
1.Verbena-a new flowering hybrid resists fungus!
2. New Guinea impatiens-can handle some sun and is self cleaning! (I certainly don't need another thing to clean!)
3. Geranium-(one of MY favs)mainstay of window boxes everywhere.
4.Euphorbia-deer will steer clear of it!
5.Purple fountain grass-'Rebrum' can withstand just about anything including high humidity and wind....pest and disease free too!
6. Coleus-this two-toned stunner is easy to grow and thrives in summer! (I could take notes from Coleus on this, couldn't you?)
7. Calibrachoa-(superbells, with a name like that, I'm in!) also self cleaning and resistant to disease
8. Sweet potato vine-this ornamental grows extremely quickly and trails beatifully over pots.
9.Begonia-you'll find varities for both sun and shade.
10. Lantana-deters deer, and hot days stimulate it to produce more blossoms, which attract butterflies and hummingbirds!
Oh, let's go do some gardening!

Hey and look, here's a page dedicated to what to say on written notes.....struggling with what to say on the card? My husband needs this! He spends FOREVER on signing a card!

Anyway, a few of the offerings I'll share with you:
for Father's Day, you might say, "Fatherhood is pretending the present you love most is the soap on a rope." Bill Cosby
A fav. quote here: "Your father, Jo. He never loses patience--never doubts or complains--but always hopes and works and waits so cheerfully that one is ashamed to do otherwise before him"--Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

then on Graduations:
"there is nothing like a dream to create the future." Victor Hugo, Les Miserable

"We want men who will fix their eyes on the stars, but who will not forget that their feet must walk on the ground." Theodore Roosevelt, Selections from Roosevelt

Weddings:
"There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage." Martin Luther, Table Talk

"There is no remedy for love, but to love more." Henry David Thoreau

Thank yous:
"I can no other answer make but thanks
And thanks." William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

"People who give will never be poor." The Diary of Anne Frank

And I'll stop rambling for now....let's go take a walk thru the yard and see a few of the flowers blooming.....I'll post those pics for you tomorrow. Sorry for the delay in posting until today.....I had no blogging mojo....I said "self, you got nothing" when I tried to think of a blog topic....so this is what you got....thanks so much for stopping by and sharing a cold drink and a little visit. Do come back now, you hear?

Oh, and you'll want to remember to get your FREE root beer float tonight at Sonic between 8 p.m and midnight!

22 comments:

Sue said...

I love porch swings and wish I had a porch to put one on. Thanks for stopping by this morning.
Hugs,
Sue

Debra from Bungalow said...

Oh how I wish I had a porch swing...sigh.
I loved this post! I don't usually read that magazine so Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Well gal you hit the blog jackpot this morning. It was totally awesome. Stories, quotes (which I love) pictures and I am thankful to have a swing. Not on a porch but under a roof, crafted by the Amish. It is indistructible. There is something about a swing that brings on meditation.
QMM

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Hi there! I loved hanging out on the swing with you. Let me tell you...hanging out in the afternoon with a good magazine and my best friend is one of the things I miss most since we moved! That was our thing. The kids played and we would sit like little old ladies, sharing magazines and coffee. Thanks for the memory. I will come sit with you anyday!

~Misti

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Boy, do I wish I had a porch swing. :) Good quotes!!!!

April said...

What a fun visit with you on your porch swing! Look out Sonic...here I come!

Lois Christensen said...

Love your porch swing!

Stacey said...

I enjoyed swingin' and readin' with you. I do love a good magazine. We went to Sonic last year when they did the Root Beer Floats...everybody else in town went too. :)

Designs on 47th Street said...

OK! You've talked me in to it..I'll take the first flight to Sugar Land and sit on your porch while cleaning your faux flowers, okay?? LOL! What comforting pictures you had for us today.

Oh, I had forgotten how much I love Real Simple magazine. Your thoughts thrown our way are good ones. I especially love that first quote! lol!

Interesting list of flowers that are rather hardy too.

You did real well for not having a topic today! :)

Donna

Basement Bags Girl said...

Real Simple is one of my fav magazines! I prefer a hammock to a swing, but love the pics. You asked about bibs...$10-12 depending on design...hope you'll check the website, would love to make something special for you!

Rue said...

What a great group of quotes! I had a lovely time swinging on the porch with you :)

xo,
rue

Rue said...

Oops! I forgot to tell you that Lucie is an absolute doll!!!

Liz Harrell said...

I'm seriously going to have to buy that magazine. Sounds wonderful! And thanks for the reminder about the root beer floats!

Darlene said...

I enjoyed all your random thoughts. We are definitely going to be at Sonic tonight, probably with everyone else in our little town!

I have been sitting on my porch swing for several hours today reading my magazines and book....just chillin! We had some heavy rain last night and the high today has only been in the low 70's with a breeze. It has been so cool and wonderful!!

Bee said...

The lemonade was delicious and the creaking of the swing put me in a wonderful mood. Thanks for inviting me.

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

What pretty porch swings! I wish I had a place to put one. Thanks for all of the lovely words and tips!

XOOX
Jen

Robin said...

Our porch swings are one thing that I actually do miss from our old house. Nothing like sitting there, swinging back and forth, in the cool breeze! I will just have to settle for my rocking chairs on this porch.
Thanks for such inspirational words!!

{{HUGS}}

Robin :o)

(I WILL get your stuff out before the end of the week...I keep getting the wrong size box....when they are flat, I can't tell how big they are...lol)

Just a little something from Judy said...

I have so many fond memories of a porch swing. My grandma had one and we would sit and talk together, when I was young. I enjoy all of my visits to this beautiful blog. In fact, I added it to my "favorites" list. Your porch swing pictures are so nice.

Kate Riley said...

I was just admiring those pages myself. Don't you love Real Simple? And if you've got lemonade, I'll be right over to sit on that porch swing.

Kate

Nancy said...

All I can say is, hope you have another day when you can't think of anything to blog about. The only thing better would have been if we really were sitting on a porch swing together.

joyh82 said...

I would love to have a porch swing. Those are lovely.

fun45mom said...

I was looking at your blog for an inspirational quote about porch swings to put on my blog about my neighborhood's porch tour. If you don't approving my comment and website posting.
www.oakleighporches.com