I have done minimal decorating this year, and it's going to be just fine. I look forward to spending it with all my children and my first baby girl grandbaby....I did just get to take a four day trip over to see her....it was wonderful...and now I'll get to see her again!! How exciting!
So the Friday Fives first ....
1. The most exciting thing that I could unwrap on Christmas morning would be.........
2. Name a fun family tradition that you and your family do or would like to start.
3. Name a favorite Christmas song or hymn.
4. How do you celebrate Christmas? Is it a formal holiday for your family or a very informal one as for as your meal goes?
5. What sounds do you hear right now as your read this blog and type your answers?
Ok, so a recipe for you.......another Christmas morning breakfast favorite from our household.....
Old Fashion Butter Rolls
3 c. all purpose flour
1 T. baking powder
1 t. salt
1/3 c. shortening (it's a very old recipe and actually calls for lard, in case you are so inclined....)
1 c. milk
3/4 c. butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 t. vanilla (nutmeg can be substituted if you'd rather)
Mix all together with fingertips. Knead until smooth on biscuit board. Roll out 1/4 inch thick on board. Spread with 3/4 c. softened butter, sprinkle 1 1/2 c. sugar on top. Roll up jelly roll fashion. Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a 9 x 13 cake pan; slowly pour enough boiling water over the rolls to cover them. (this is important because it makes the yummy, yummy sauce). Sprinkle 1 t. vanilla over the top. Bake 350 degrees for one hour until browned. Serve with whipping cream. Serve 8-10. We never use the whipping cream because we like them with just the sauce......don't be afraid to lick your fingers.......it's basically a Christmas tradition for us, so we look forward to them all year long.