Thursday, December 9, 2010

Friday Fives......they're BACK!!!

I've missed my Friday Fives and hearing from you, my blogging friends!  Please participate and let us get to know one another a little better and have a little fun. It will not involve any  picture taking nor revealing of any Christmas decorations, but could possibly include another recipe that might be just right for the holidays.
I have done minimal decorating this year, and it's going to be just fine.  I look forward to spending it with all my children and my first baby girl grandbaby....I did just get to take a four day trip over to see her....it was wonderful...and now I'll get to see her again!!  How exciting!


So the Friday Fives first ....
1. The most exciting thing that I could unwrap on Christmas morning would be.........

2. Name a fun family tradition that you and your family do or would like to start.

3. Name a favorite Christmas song or hymn.

4. How do you celebrate Christmas?  Is it a formal holiday for your family or a very informal one as for as your meal goes?

5. What sounds do you hear right now as your read this blog and type your answers?

Ok, so a recipe for you.......another Christmas morning breakfast favorite from our household.....

 Old Fashion Butter Rolls


3 c. all purpose flour

1 T. baking powder

1 t. salt

1/3 c. shortening (it's a very old recipe and actually calls for lard, in case you are so inclined....)

1 c. milk

3/4 c. butter

1 1/2 c. sugar

1 t. vanilla (nutmeg can be substituted if you'd rather)


Mix all together with fingertips. Knead until smooth on biscuit board. Roll out 1/4 inch thick on board. Spread with 3/4 c. softened butter, sprinkle 1 1/2 c. sugar on top. Roll up jelly roll fashion. Cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces. Place in a 9 x 13 cake pan; slowly pour enough boiling water over the rolls to cover them. (this is important because it makes the yummy, yummy sauce). Sprinkle 1 t. vanilla over the top. Bake 350 degrees for one hour until browned. Serve with whipping cream. Serve 8-10. We never use the whipping cream because we like them with just the sauce......don't be afraid to lick your fingers.......it's basically a Christmas tradition for us, so we look forward to them all year long.

Merry Christmas Y'all!!!

9 comments:

Debbie said...

Glad to have these back and glad you have some more Princess Time coming up.

Hmmm.
1. This sounds stupid, but I would love open a box of tiles for my kitchen floor with a note that said that the rest were waiting outside. Dumb, I know, but I want a new kithchen floor in the worst way.

2. New tradition... hmm, again since we already do so many things. ONE thing I would like is to go Christmas caroling the way we did when I was a kid, just walking from house to house.

3. My favorite Christmas song is "I heard the bells on Christmas Day". I love Longfellow and I love the story behind that one.

4. Our Christmas is casual and colorful and LOUD.

5. I'm listening to the sound of my refrigerator groaning and making an upchuck noise and telling me that I'm never going to get my new kitchen floor because I will have to buy a new fridge first. Bah Humbug!

KimberFNP said...

I posted my answers in my blog, thanks for inspiring me to write something and share my Friday morning cup o' joe with you...

KimberFNP said...

oops, here's the link
http://kimsetser.blogspot.com/2010/12/sharing-friday-fives.html

and let me say, that recipe looks wonderful!

April said...

Everytime I pay you a visit, I feel like I gain 10 lbs. with all that yumminess floating around!

1. I wouldn't mind opening up tickets to fly to Colorado, again...I need to learn how to ski, once and for all!

2. The girls always get to open a special surprise after we finish our Christmas eve dinner of steak and potatoes.

3. I always have a soft spot in my heart for "Litte Drummer Boy".

4. It's pretty informal and laid back. We do go to church together on Christmas Eve, so that's always a highlight for us. We come home and watch movies together.

5. Traffic passing by.

southerninspiration said...

Thanks y'all for playing along....Debbie you always crack me up! And I hope you each have a Merry Merry Christmas!

Suzanne

Anonymous said...

Those rolls look delicious!! I just want to reach out and unwrap each bite.

Ruthie said...

Here is a link to my answers! Have a great day!

http://tatteredblissfun.blogspot.com/2010/12/friday-fivesmy-answers.html


Ruthie @ Tattered Bliss

Renee @ AddMoreChocolate said...

Welcome back Friday Fives!
1. I have no idea! I guess I'm a contented person.
2. I love seeing the kids unwrap their ornament collection each year. Tree is full of memories!
3. I love any song that isn't "Santa Baby."
4. Casual and cozy.
5. Listening to the happy sounds of Jack, 13 months, as he plays with the ornaments on the tree and his little wooden train. Fridays are baby days over here!

Joyce said...

1. a brand new camera and a class to go with

2. we have taken a picture of the kids on the staircase coming down to see their stockings and gifts every year ...my parents started this tradition with us and I've continued it with my children... it is torture for the kids but that's part of the fun : )

3. O Come All Ye Faithful

4. Formal meal is Christmas Eve, more relaxed on Christmas day

5. itunes playlist, miscellaneous...right now happens to be David Crowder How He Loves, which happens to be one of my favorite songs.

Have a nice weekend!